Monday 4 August 2008

Unemployed

I have been unemployed for about 6 weeks now.
I handed in my notice when we decided to move up North. Well, now we have moved up North.
We sold our flat in London at just the right time, literally. I think we had an offer about a week before the media started reporting on the 'credit crunch'.
Other friends who also put their homes on the market in March, but at the end of the month a few weeks after us, are still trying to sell them.
So we were really lucky.
However, we timed it really badly in terms of me finding a job - there is just nothing.
I have been to two creative recruitment consultants as well as applying for admin etc, but there is just nothing out there.
I am really fortunate that my partner runs his own company and is really successful and can afford to look after us both for now. We also do have a bit of left-over equity which we can fall back on, although the wedding has to be paid for this week.
The recruiters I saw both say that I am 'highly employable' but that means nothing when there are just no jobs about at all.

I do, of course, blame it on the media. Why did they have to shock everyone by advertising the fact that banks weren't lending to each other and that times ahead were going to be hard. That was just a sure-fire catalyst and a reason for everyone to get scared and stop spending.
Surely, the best way to help the economy now would be for the media to suddenly say how well we are all doing, how much money there is in the country and how we are about to have a huge economic boom......

No comments: