Tuesday 5 August 2008

The lesser-spotted, red-footed rabbit

Well, as we have just moved in, we have been keen to put our mark on the place.

Although full of character, because our house is fairly new, it is rather bland in its colour scheme.
I do appreciate minimalism and I know it is fashionable and easy to customise, but I come from a family home full of wallpaper and experiments and 'techniques' and 'features' so I like to really add my personality. Hopefully, in a few months there will be no beige walls at all!

Anyway, whilst I am unemployed and whilst my partner is hard at work in his office, I decided to start decorating - yay!

I started with the living room and chose a lovely wallpaper for the large walls either side of the fireplace. I searched everywhere for inspiration and was eventually smacked in the face by inspiration in B&Q! Gorgeous pale green wallpaper with subtle green foliage pattern.

So that was my first thing.

My partner and I, on moving in, decided that he would have the office (the 3rd bedroom), and I would have the guest room to play with.

So, this was my next task and I really wanted to do something very different and very special.
It had to be cosy, warm and quite girly so I bought some really floral wallpaper and lovely sage green paint. I love it!!

My rabbit, Alvin is absolutely delighted with it. I have hidden all the cables and wires so now he is actually allowed in there.
If I ever can't find him, I know to look in this room which he seems to have taken for his own!!

Anyway, then I decided to add a bit of colour to the bathrooms. They were white with white bathroom suites, white walls, white floors, white ceilings, white tiles, white everything.
Now, I am the exception and do think that white bathrooms make sense, but I like a bit of atmosphere, so I chose to paint the two guest bathrooms, cranberry. It's a rich, dark red and just oozes elegance I think.

It was a bit of a chance and quite hard to use as a tiny slip onto the white ceiling or tiles, can be fatal! But I persevered and after a few hours of close, intricate, detailed painting, I stood back and admired my efforts!

But who else should come to admire the view but Alvin, the nosey rabbit.
And he got a very close-up view because he decided to run through my tray of paint!!!

In slow motion, I cried 'nooooooooooooo' as I leapt to the ground to scoop him up in my arms before he legged it upstairs, up the cream carpetted stairs, onto the cream carpetted landing, and into his favourite place, the newly decorated guest room.

Well, I caught him, to the detriment of my grey vest and jeans.

His little paws were just coated. Absolutely bright red. There was nothing for it to get a cloth to remove the wet paint from his toes and then to stick him in his cage to dry off.
My partner wanted to reprimand him (as he still hasnt learned that rabbits can't be reprimanded) but I assured him that Alvin would feel punished enough with his bright red feet when he went into the garden that afternoon - the laughing stock of the lawn.....

No comments: