Friday 23 January 2009

New Job!

Well, my days of doing nothing are over it seems!!!

I finally have a job! And a new career! And I'm actually really excited.

Bit of a long story and it seems a shame to cut it short when I've got loads of time to write and this is a blog. Not particularly interesting story but it may be the last time I'll have the luxury of time to write!

Well, I went to this NHS open day in Liverpool, which, at the time seemed like an absolute waste of time. You had to just say what kind of job you were after and generally, there were 3 or 4 vacancies within each category.
Anyway, then I got called for interview, but as there were 500 applicants and I had no experience, I wasn't too optimistic really.
Anyways, just after Christmas I get a call to say I had been successful!!! Hurrah you may think.
No! Not hurrah. I had been given the job as Healthcare Assistant - a position I had purposefully not applied for the whole time I have been trauling through the NHS website (which is considerable).
To top it off, it also required me to drive all day to different people's houses and to clinics etc - a daunting task to someone who hasn't passed their test yet.

Anyway, it was a job, and I especially owed it to Al to take it and to start paying towards the mortgage and getting up at silly hours in the morning like him.
So I stopped applying for jobs and prepared myself for a lifetime of cleaning people!

Anyway (I use that word a lot), I got a call about 2 weeks ago asking me to come for interview for a job I applied to before Christmas. It was for the position of Elective Treatment Centre Assistant and sounded really varied and wonderful with great prospects.
The interview went really well and as all good interviews do, turned into a three-way chat more than a formal conversation.

I was slightly optimistic about it and thought I got some really good vibes from the two ladies interviewing.
However, the next day I got a call from Linda saying that she was really sorry but she couldn't offer me the job. Apparently, they were sure they were going to give it to me but then another girl came in who was equally as good as me, and unfortunately there was just something that tipped the balance in her favour.
They said they really liked me though and would really appreciate it if I came for interview for the receptionist position with the view to getting some hospital experience and being in a great place to apply for the next job to come up.

So I did and I got it!
And I took great delight in calling Liverpool to tell them I couldn't be a Healthcare Assistant.

I'm actually really looking forward to the job. Linda said on the phone that she hoped I wouldn't be insulted by asking to apply for it and knew that the job was below me etc. But, I don't feel like that at all. It will really prove to be a challenge and a great starting off point for my career and I really can't wait to start!

No comments: