Wednesday 28 May 2008

A day in the life of a (graphic?) designer

You should see us all in the artroom. We are all so bored but it would be even more boring to actually do some work. So you have the girl next to me has gone for a walk; the girl in the middle of the room is trimming her split ends; the only guy in the room is doing a crossword; and the girl at the far-end of the room, well, I dont know what she is doing actually - I can't see her - she is hiding!

And the guy does a little half-spin in his chair whilst forcing a yawn - I think he's just checking that we're not all doing work - and then he leans forward and reaches for his dictionary!

The room is a mess so we could tidy up but we are all just way beyond lacking any motivation at all and we don't even mind if someone were to walk in now and catch us not doing anything.
We wish they would say something to us. We wish we could be reprimanded, but discipline is so lax here.

I want a stressful, challenging job.

Even if one of the people from 'upstairs' did come in now, they couldn't really say anything as we have all done the work we were meant to have done. It's not like we're missing deadlines.

The people 'upstairs' are much different to us. They are busy and they all care for the Company. They take work home with them and get in about half an hour early each morning. They work in sales and production and management and have no creative talent whatsoever. They do not understand the working ethics and the environment in the artroom whatsoever, and it really frustrates them.
They work all hours and will still never complete their workload, whilst they see us sitting here bored with nothing to do.

Who has the better job?
I know that in the past, before I had this job, I didnt understand people who actually sought a challenge. I wanted a job where you got to chat and play and not do much all day. Now that I have that job, I really would appreciate a job with a challenge.

I see that prospective employers who might happen to read this, will probably think twice before they give me a job, especially seeing as my CV says that I am highly motivated and hardworking and reliable. I am! I am all of those things! But what's the point when there is nothing to work towards?

Do I just have a bad attitude?

No comments: