Monday 9 February 2009

Marmalade Butties

I was just talking about the fact that I very rarely laugh during a film, regardless of how funny it is. I did laugh in Slumdog Millionaire a few times, especially when the little boy fell down the toilet, but generally, despite finding something really funny, I make no outward gesture that I have been tickled by it. I don't know why.
I remember going to the cinema on a first date to see 'The Fully Monty' and on leaving the cinema, Mike turned to me and said 'Is everything ok? You never laughed once during that whole film.'
That was the first time I realised that I don't laugh.
Mike really thought I was pretty humourless and that relationship didn't last long at all.
But when I mentioned it again the other day, my aunty said, 'yes, when I took you to see Paddington bear when you were very small, you remained completely dead-pan throughout all the funny bits when the other children were laughing.'
I was devestated. I must look so miserable!
'Yes,' she continued, 'but then you surprised us all. When everyone else was quiet, all of a sudden you jumped up and shouted across the audience 'My daddy eats marmalade butties too!'

No comments: